Are You a Candidate for Dental Implants?
Dental implants provide a completely unique teeth restoration experience on account of the way that they are directly bonded to your jawbone. This bond is possible because of a process called osseointegration, which occurs because the titanium alloy dental implants are made from is not recognized by your body as unnatural. During the healing period, osseointegration works to integrate your implant fixture into your oral anatomy, which results in your body gaining the ability to manipulate your implants just like your natural teeth.
In order for osseointegration to be a success, there are certain requirements you must meet. In order to find out if you qualify for treatment with dental implants, you will first need to attend a consultation with our dentists.
What Makes a Good Dental Implant Candidate?
During your consultation, our dentists will perform a thorough examination and review of your oral health. In order to give you an idea of what we’re looking for during this visit, here are some things you should keep in mind:
- A good candidate for treatment with dental implants is in good oral and overall health. If both your mouth and body are not healthy enough, it is possible for your implant treatment to fail.
- While patients of all ages are eligible for treatment with implants, there is one condition that can prevent them from receiving implants. When we are young, our jawbone is in a state of growth. Until your child’s jawbone is finished growing, they will not be able to receive implants.
- Patients who smoke may have a harder time receiving treatment with dental implants. However, despite the chances of failure being higher for our smoking patients, we have had a lot of successes providing these patients with implant treatment.
- Patients who are suffering from jawbone deterioration or gum recession may not have the jaw structure necessary to properly support dental implants. Fortunately, this can be fixed with a supplementary procedure.
- If you are currently using a dental bridge or dentures to restore missing teeth, dental implants may be able to provide you with an alternative that is more comfortable and more reliable.
Some of our patients don’t initially qualify for treatment with dental implants. This is usually because they suffer from jawbone deterioration or gum recession. Fortunately for these patients, we can provide a supplemental procedure that can reverse both of these conditions.
For instance, we can use bone grafting for our patients suffering from jawbone deterioration. For this procedure, bone tissue is taken from another source and is grafted to the deficient areas of the jawbone. Using this procedure, we can restore the patient’s jawbone back to the point where it can provide the foundation needed to support dental implants. For our patients suffering from gum recession, a similar procedure called soft tissue augmentation can be used.
Find Out If You Qualify for Dental Implants at Aloha Dental Associates
Because there are so many different variables that can affect your chances of receiving treatment with dental implants, we can only determine your candidacy after a one-on-one consultation at our office. If you currently reside in the North Riverside area and would like to find out if dental implants are the right treatment for your needs, we encourage you to contact us and schedule a no-obligation consultation with dental implant providers today.